Monday 7 November 2011

Conductive Education in New Zealand

I received a Google Alert this morning providing a link to a short film on YouTube about Conductive Education. The strange thing was not the amount of time it took to download, but the fact that this film was shown under the banner of Parkinson's disease and, expecting to see a piece about adults with Parkinson's, I discovered it was about Conductive Education for children with cerebral palsy.



After watching several parents talk about the effects on their children with no mention of the centre they were attending, I managed to establish that this film had been shown on TVOne in New Zealand. Still, no mention of the centre!

The parents' expressed views similar to others all over the world and were generally pleased to have found a system to help their children and families.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Snap, Gill, I found it at about the same time, amd by the same means!

To me it is yet another example of CE's being uncaringly bandied about as some sort of meaningless commodity, like so many other things you might say, good enough for flashing at ordinary people and their families but getting the punters' attention is the sole criterion for a successful outcome.

I find this deeply dejecting.

By the way, I noticed the name 'Xavier' on a piece of cardboard in the background of one of the sequences. My ear is insufficiently attuned to different shades of Antipodean to tell whether the words were being spoken in Kiwi or Oz.>
I am sure that others are more culturally sensitive.

Gillian Maguire said...

One of the children was called Xavier, I think!