Sunday 26 August 2012

Adding links to websites

Today I was asked for my permission to include a link to my blog on a website. Although it was very nice to be asked, there was no need as the site is in the public domain and anyone can link to it, for any purpose.

I am also happy for anyone to quote from it or use the information as long as they indicate where the information came from.

This made me think about just what is up on the Internet  that I am involved with:

 There is:

  • this blog
  • my Virtual Library Catalogue and Document Depository
  • Conductive Education Press and the 4 books it has published.

The blog was started in 2008,  Conductive Education Press in 2009, and the Virtual Library in 2010

Not bad for a start!

1 comment:

Andrew Sutton said...

Yes, it is an odd request, isn't it?

As you say, though, it must be nice to be asked!

A more appropriate etiquette, I should have thought, might be to post and interesting URL anyway then, should you wish, notify the owner for the sake of feedback.

I used to do try to do this as a matter of routine but I was posting so many that I was soon overwhelmed by the scale of the task. What I was not overwhelmed by was the number of people who made any response, positive or minus. I am afraid that, like any non-reinforced behaviour, this routine soon extinguished.

I still do notify links posted (I did it but yesterday but only in targeted instances, not as a routine. I do not think that I am being particularly discourteous in this: at least no one has ever complained.

Should people ever do so, I guess, then one would have to deal with this on a case-by-case basis.Who knows, perhaps a complainant my have legitimate grounds for a complaint, in which case there might be grounds for amendment. Enough such, thre might even be generalisable principles emerging.

I am sure that there already. It would be nice to be shown where. I do not have time to look.

A.