Sunday 27 September 2009

Its all Greek to me

Holidays in Greece usually mean lots of lovely food, wine, good company and wonderful weather. The sun has proved somewhat elusive this year and there has been heavy rain for almost twenty-four hours. It reminded me of the monsoons I experienced as a child when I lived in Malaya. Fortunately the sun has come back now and hopefully will last for the last two days of my stay.

I am visiting Zakynthos and went to the main town which has been completely rebuilt since the 1953 earthquake which destroyed most of the buildings on the island. Only three buildings were left standing in the town - a church, a school and a bank. Fire then ravaged all that was left.

The Cultural centre has a library with the most beautiful wooden bookcases with glass fronts - a step back in time! The island archive is in the same building and is kept also in similar glass fronted bookcases, consisting of lots of paper files tied up with coloured tapes. A bit of a busman's holiday looking at these, I suppose.

This year I have seen more wheelchairs than I have ever before, but the Greeks have installed ramps of various sizes - some impossibly steep and narrow - making all buildings, including bars and restuarants accessible with help if necessary.

By the way, is there a conductor/and or conductive services in Greece? I seem to remember hearing about some recently. If anyone has information please let me know for my next listing of centres/services worldwide.

Its back to the beach now, then perhaps another ouzo before dinner. I must make the most of this holiday as it may be a long time before the next one.

No comments: