Thursday 3 September 2009

Spina bifida in the news

Yesterday I saw a news item on television about the rise of spina bifida cases in Scotland. The Scottish Association for Spina Bifida was recommending that women hoping to have a child should take folic acid as a precaution.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/north/120266-mother-backs-folic-acid-campaign/

This morning I read of about a parent's blog new to me that is reporting her child's sessions at the Conductive Learning Center in Michigan.

On this she reports that a child with spina bifida is in her daughter's group, and I wondered if this is a sign that spina bifida is increasing outside the UK too. The Peto Institute has always had a Conductive Education group for those with the condition, and some of the first non-Hungarian children to go there in the 1980s had spina bifida.

Due to the decline in numbers it has not featured much in Conductive Education in the UK since then, as far as I am aware. Perhaps things will change and conductors will need a refresher course on those children's needs.

If any centres do have groups with spina bifida children, please let me know and I will put the information up on this blog.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Thanks, Gill, for raising this matter.

I have tried to add a little to this, over on Conductive World:

http://bit.ly/COPpu

Keep'em coming!

Andrew.

Andrew said...

Thanks, Gill, for raising this matter.

I have tried to add a little to this, over on Conductive World:

http://bit.ly/COPpu

Keep'em coming!

Andrew.