Wednesday 10 March 2010

English website for Peto Institute - is this new?

I have just discovered that the Peto Institute has a new English version of its website which looks very good, clean and fresh with a white background. I have no idea how long it has been up on the Internet.

http://www.peto.hu/en/

I have had a look around but was unable to find a list of publications and information on ordering these.

General information about the Institute can be found under the headings of Centre for Development and Conductive Care, Conductive Kindergarten, Conductive School, Adults' Education Unit, College for Conductor Training and Mária Hári Library and Regional Resource Centre.

http://www.peto.hu/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52:our-institute&catid=36:general&Itemid=58

The introductory paragraph to the Library section says

Funds from the European Union and the National Development Plan in the frame of
the Human Resources Development Operational Programme have made the
refurbishment of the Mária Hári Library and Regional Resource Centre possible.

The Library holds thirty thousand volumes on a variety of subjects, not just Conductive Education. A brief description of its contents given.

The piece finishes with


A newsroom, a study, light and comfortable rooms for readers and a children’s
corner are expecting visitors day by day.

I am not sure if this means the library is now open to all and not just the Institute's staff and students. Perhaps someone will confirm it for me.

A museum devoted to the history of Conductive Education and Maria Hari's life is also on the first floor. Certainly worth a visit if open access is possible, if you are ever in Budapest.

4 comments:

Susie Mallett said...

Gill

I don't know either if the library is open generally to the public, but when I was there last in November 2008 all it needed was an email from me asking if I could visit.

I was asked in a prompt reply if there was anything in particular that I wanted to look at and my requests and more were all on the table in the reading room waiting for me.

I was made very welcome and even my PAI dissertation had been placed there for me to see!

If I lived just a little bit nearer I would be a regular visitor. Even is only to read Petö's handwritten scribblings in the margins of his typed plays.

Susie

Gillian Maguire said...

Thanks, Susie, that sounds very encouraging. You certainly had a good response to your request. I have never been sure if it was open access or not. Perhaps someone from the Peto Institute will clarify things for us.

Unknown said...

Dear Maguire!

I study at Collage of Peto Institute and I can surely say the library is available for everyone in open hours.

Gillian Maguire said...

That is good news, Judit, exactly how libraries should be. If I ever get to Budapest, which I hope to, I will definitely try and timetable a vist into my time.