Wednesday 24 March 2010

Famous writers who are also librarians

I have been sent an item by Susie Mallett about Librarians entitled Librarian literature - top ten books written by librarians, which was taken from a newsletter, The Avid Reader produced by Abe Books.

http://www.abebooks.com/books/Newsletters/100322/000-librarC.shtml?cm_mmc=nl-_-nl-_-000-librarC-_-h-online

This list is very interesting. It includes the well known librarian Philip Larkin, plus others not so well-known. In fact I did not know that Madeleine L'Engle, Ann Tyler and Jorge Luis Borges had been librarians. Missing from the list are John Braine, Lewis Carroll, Marcel Proust and Benjamin Franklin who could easily have been included.

What a wonderful collection of people who have achieved so much in very different ways and as I cannot really claim that writing this blog makes me a writer in quite the same way, I am very pleased to be associated with them as a librarian too.

No comments: