Saturday 13 June 2009

Birthday honour for founder of Conductive Education Centre

This year I share my birthday with Queen Elizabeth II (her official birthday, not her real one, which is in April) and though I have not received an award in her birthday honours list released today, I discover that Conductive Education has.

Founder of the Rainbow Centre, Helen Somerset-Howe has been awarded an MBE for 'her amazing work with the Rainbow Centre in Fareham', nominated by chairwoman of the centre's trustees.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome/Honour-for-founder-of-Rainbow.5363276.jp


A few years ago a lady involved with the PACES centre in Sheffield received a similar award, but I believe this is a first for a founder of a centre.


Congratulations, Helen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gill
The "lady at Paces" is Karen Hague, co-founder with myself of Paces and, like myself and Helen, a parent, whose daughter is now 27.
Karen - subject to my being corrected - first went with her daughter to the Peto Institute about 1990, one of the first from Sheffield to do so.
Her quiet contribution to the conception and development of Paces and of Paces Campus has been critical: often overlooked alongside my much noisier efforts!
Cheers. Norman

Gillian Maguire said...

Thanks for this, Norman. I wasn't quite sure of my facts, and was unable to check them as I'm no longer in the Library.

Belated congratulations to Karen too.

I think its great that people who have worked so hard for CE get this recognition - its a shame that its not given to more of those who deserve it.