Monday 1 September 2008

The end of the world as I know it?

Ever since I was a small child, books have held a fascination for me and been an important part of all aspects of my life, work and pleasure. So, today on seeing an article in the Daily Mail about the launch of an electronic book jointly by Sony and Waterstones (the book shop), I had mixed emotions.


It is wonderful that modern technology can make it possible to carry 160 books around with you on a small machine about the size of an average paperback and initially this one will come with a free CD allowing you to read such classics as Pride and Prejudice, Dracula and Great Expectations. Wow!

I immediately thought of something I had read several years ago. This announced the Built-in Orderly Organised Knowledge device and talks about technology and books and I have found several URLs for it:

This extols the virtues of the printed word - which doesn't need batteries, an on/off switch, never crashes or needs re-booting, has an index to lead you to the part you particularly want to read etc. Libraries historically contain books which provide a bigger selection of information which is just as readily accessible and available (at little or no cost), but are moving with the times and now also collect electronic media such as Videos (which are now on the way out as the machines to watch them become obsolete, but the trusty book is still very much to hand),CDs, DVDs, and academic libraries in particular,have electronic books in their catalogues.

Personally, I think I will stick with the printed word for now and watch developments while continuing to collect information about CE regardless of its format.

No comments: