Friday 20 April 2012

Late bloomer

Even though I am not usually one to blow my own trumpet, as the saying goes, I realised the other day, that I have edited and published a few books, some when I was Librarian at the Foundation for Conductive Education, and even more since I was retired. For years I had been saying that more should have been written and published on Conductive Education and somehow I have become involved in doing exactly that!


These have been:

  • Setting up and editing a twice-a-year journal, Recent Advances in Conductive Education that ran from 2001 to 2009

  • Co-editing and/or publishing six books plus another to be published in 2012.

See below.

Maguire, G. and Sutton, A, ed. (2004)  Mária Hári on conductive pedagogy. Birmingham: Foundation for Conductive Educatiom.


Maguire, G. and Nanton, R., ed. (2005) Looking back, looking forwards. Birmingham: Foundation for Conductive Education.

Sutton, A. and Maguire, G., ed (2009) Just Do it! Young conductors in their new world. Birmingham: Conductive Education Press.

Sutton, A, and Maguire, G., ed. (2010) Internationalising Conductive Education. Birmingham: Conductive Education Press.


Graham, J., McGuigan, C., Maguire G., ed. (2010) Intelligent love; parents action for Conductive Education.  Birmingham: Conductive Education Press.

Sutton, A. (2011) Last year in Hong Kong. Edited by G. Maguire. Birmingham: Conductive Education Press.


Maguire, G. and Sutton, A. ed. (in press)  András Pető; an introduction. Birmingham: Conductive Education Press.



Not bad going! This was not a planned career move ( nor was that retirement). It seems to have 'just happened' and will, I hope, continue..

.

3 comments:

nonye said...

I agree with you, not bad going. And I say; well done. Hope I get to read one or two of the books, must be worth reading.

Susie Mallett said...

Dear Gill, I hope that this book list continues to grow!

It is so nice to read this posting as only yesterday I told a conductor colleague your story and expressed how grateful I am that because of you and your co-workers there is so much more published material available for us to read and, more important to me than reading, it I can refer to it when I speak to other people about our work.

Thank you so much for all that you do for everyone in the conductive community and please, please carry on for as long as you can, you are a very valuable mine of information.

Susie

Gillian Maguire said...

Thanks very much for these comments which have left me with a warm glow!

I do hope to carry on and have several ideas which will be explored and hopefully acted on.

I look forward to finding out that others(as well as yourself, Susie) are also publishing and writing, extending the literature and knowledge about Conductive Education.